B52 Shots: How to Layer the B-52 Shooter
How to Make B52 Shots
B-52 Shots: The KGB (Kahlua, Grand Marnier, Baileys)
of the Shooter World…
B52 shots are the original layered shot. Layering shots is not difficult but it takes a steady hand and a little know-how to master the 3 layers you’ll need to pour to create the perfect B-52 shot. There are basically two methods to layering shots. First is to slowly pour the layering alcohol on top of the heavier alcohol by pouring it through a spout…slowly..down the side of the shot glass. The second method is to invert a small spoon or bar mixing spoon, placing the tip inside the shot glass and pouring the layering alcohol on top of the spoon.
The B-52 shot is a good shooter to learn layering on as it has 3 separate layers while many other shooters have only two layers. If you’re still unsure at this point, watch the video below for a demonstration.
B52 Shooter Video Tutorial
What you’ll need for the B-52 Shot:
- Grand Marnier (or substitute Cointreau / Triple Sec)
- Baileys Irish Cream (or a substitute Irish Cream)
- Mixer Spoon
- Shot glass
What you do:
- Step 1
- Using equal parts of Kahlua, Baileys and Grand Marnier (in that order), fill your shot glass with one-third Kahlua
- Step 2
- Next place your mixing spoon upside-down at the top of the shot glass so the liquid will fall to the insides, dropping down along the wall of the shooter glass
- Step 3
- Pouring the Baileys over the inverted spoon, fill the second third of the shot glass with Bailey’s Irish Cream
- Step 4
- Continuing with using the inverted mixing spoon, fill the last third of the shot glass with Grand Marnier
- Step 5
- What you should have is a shot with distinctively different layers. Now Drink and Enjoy your B 52 Shot!
[Video Transcript] How to Make B52 Shots | How to Layer the B-52 Shooter
Hi there, Reese Richards from BarsandBartending.com and today we’re going to do a B52 Shooter. Okay, so we have our ingredients here: Kahlua, Baileys and Grand Marnier (you can substitute Grand Marnier for Triple Sec, or Kuantro if you’d like). And they’re in order in how they go inside. We have to layer this shot. So we have a spoon for layering. So first we wanna go 1/3 of each. And now we to layer so we layer like placing the spoon in the shooter glass and pouring over the spoon. Okay, then we’ll top it up with a Grand Marnier (GM); same thing we’re layering this as well. Okay, now you have 3 layers: your Kahlua, your Baileys and your Grand Marnier on top. You can get a clearer cut than that. There’s your B52.